Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Recipe; Homemade Healthy Granola = YUM!

Kate,
Making butter...how fun! I am anxious to hear how the budget thing goes.  That will be challenging, but you are always up to a good challenge!  I will check out the cookbook you recommended.  I always love new cookbooks.

Well, we decided to cook in our kitchen today as well. As you know, I love to cook and part of that is tweaking any recipe to make it better for you. N, age 3, has been asking for homemade granola, so today we made some! My entire house smells soooo good! Here's the recipe I used, it is one I tweaked by combining a few other recipes and then changed it a bit to make it healthier. Here you go:

Homemade Healthy Granola 
7 cups rolled oats (not quick)
1 cup raw wheat germ
1 cup shredded coconut (not the sweetened)
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup freshly ground flax seeds
1/2-3/4 cup seeds (sunflower, sesame, pumpkin etc.)
1 cup raisins (I also added some chopped dates)
1 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews etc.)
1 cup non-fat dry milk
Mix in bowl  and set aside

3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup grade B maple syrup
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1 tsp. salt (you could probably leave this out!)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. maplene
You can add some brown sugar if you'd like it a little sweeter
Mix the above ingredients in blender and then pour on dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Spread onto two large cookie sheets and bake at 250 degrees for 60-90 minutes stirring every 20 minutes.















As you can tell, you can change it to fit your tastes.  You may want to add more nuts, less wheat germ, more flour.  Play with it.

You'll have to try it and let me know what the boys think.
Have a great day!
Amy

1 comments:

Practically Spent said...

I just made some granola last week. Well, actually they were supposed to be bars but they turned out a little crumbly so I went with it. I like your recipe. Are you familiar with Chia seeds (yes ~ just like the kind that make the Chia Heads!)? They're interesting & add a nice crunch along with vitamins & minerals.

Nice idea for a blog. I'm sure you're enjoying this.

Post a Comment