Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Best Pizza EVER!

To the fun women in my life,

In little ol' Sheboygan, Wisconsin, mere blocks from Lake Michigan, there sits a lovely pizza place called Il Ritrovo. They serve authentic Italian pizza that is TO DIE FOR. And we are going there when everyone comes to visit this fall. But I digress...

Rit and I went there last year sometime and had an amazing pizza full of flavor and topped with delicious fresh ingredients. This is my attempt to re-create that pizza. Although it isn't quite the same, this recipe has become one of our favorite stand-by dinners.

Ingredients:
Your favorite thin-crust pizza dough (I typically use the basic boule recipe from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day," which I always have made up in the fridge; however, I have also been known to use a pre-made thin-crust dough from the store.)

One ball of fresh mozzarella cheese (or make your own...it's not hard...) NOT SHREDDED...Get the good stuff, Mom!

Yummy tomatoes...one medium or two small

fresh greens...arugula is best, but a mix of baby spinach and arugula is good too...NOT LETTUCE

Fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Olive oil

Italian Seasoning or basil, oregano, thyme, etc.

Garlic powder

Balsamic Vinaigrette

Preheat your oven according to the directions for your dough. Roll out your crust, nice and thin. Using a pastry or basting brush (I love my silicone one!), lightly brush your entire crust with olive oil. Then sprinkle it with garlic powder and your seasonings (Italian or a mixture of basil, oregano and thyme). Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake according to the directions for your dough (It's usually somewhere between 8 and 15 minutes). You want the crust to be golden brown with done.

While the crust is baking, wash your greens and chop them into bite-size pieces. Lightly toss with a little balsamic vinaigrette. Go very easy on the dressing. You want just a hint of flavor. Chop your tomatoes and mozzarella cheese into medium-size chunks. Salt and pepper your tomatoes to taste.

As soon as your crust comes out of the oven, top with the mozzarella chunks, followed by the greens and topped with the tomatoes to hold it all in place. PILE ON THE TOPPINGS...that's the best way to eat it. You shouldn't even be able to see your crust. And yep, no sauce.


That's it! Slice and enjoy. It really is a relatively healthy take on a greasy favorite. Even the boys love it. I'm sorry I don't have a photo to share. I thought about it a couple of nights ago when we had this for dinner, but alas, the pizza was gone before I could get my camera. I'll add photos the next time we have it...which I'm sure won't be too long. Enjoy!

p.s. Photos of the sunroom coming later this week after I FINALLY get the corner shelves painted and put back. :)

2 comments:

heather said...

LOVE Il Ritrovo!!! Used to work at the Arts Center in Sheboygan and that was one of the redeeming things about having to truck up there every day! :-)

Gaddzooks! said...

This sounds delicious...a bit like bruschetta, which I LOVE. I can't wait to try it out.

Post a Comment