Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines...a family event in our home!

Happy Valentine's Day.  I thought I'd share one of my favorite family traditions.  Years ago, when we only had one child, I was planning a candlelight dinner on Valentine's Day.  I got our 2 1/2 year old to bed early and started making a romantic dinner.  My husband was gone, so it was perfect...it would be a fun surprise when he arrived home.  On a student budget, I had planned and saved so we could have steak and shrimp.  The meal would be finished off with my husband's favorite dessert, hot fudge pudding cake!  Dinner was about ready when Tom got home. Little footsteps could then be heard coming into the kitchen.  My sweet little boy had awakened and wanted to see his daddy.  We pulled up his high chair and he was so excited to join us for our romantic candlelight Valentine dinner.  He then kept asking when we could have shrimp again.  Needless to say, Valentines is not a romantic dinner at our home, it is now a family event.  It has been about 15 years and every February 14, we have a steak and shrimp family dinner. I try to make it special by using our good china and goblets as well as decorating the table.   Every one of our children look forward to our FAMILY Valentine's dinner.   What is one of your favorite Valentine's traditions?  I'd love new ideas.
Amy

2 comments:

Gaddzooks! said...

We are kind of duds with Valentine's traditions, but we do usually exchange little valentines with the kids. We all write a bunch of notes to each other and put them in little bags or envelopes on our bedroom doors. The kids love it. You've inspired me to make this day a more special one! I'll have to let you know what I come up with. :)

Molly said...

I've always thought it would be such fun to grow up in your house. You have created so many great traditions. Thanks for all the fabulous ideas! I think we'll enjoy a candlelight dinner together tonight as a family.

Post a Comment