Wednesday, September 14, 2011

It's Tomatillo Time!

Sisters,
I'm so excited to share a new favorite at our home!  We started growing tomatillos a few years ago in the garden.  We only planted them the one year and they've faithfully returned each year since.  I grew them at first so I could make the tomatillo salad dressing we all love.  Then I started experimenting with other recipes, but haven't considered any of them "keepers".  I've finally made a recipe we really like. Drum roll please...it's Roasted tomatillo salsa.  We like it with chips or as a sauce for smothered burritos.    I've decided that the trick is to have plenty of hot peppers in the mix.  That is not the norm around our home...I think we have tender taste buds and don't like things very spicy, but the combination with the tomatillos is perfect!  It's pretty easy to make and as usual at my house, you taste and add whatever the batch needs.  The original recipe is found at Allrecipes here, but I've included the recipe with my modifications below.


1 pound tomatillos (with husks on)
1 onion quartered
4 garlic cloves peeled
4-5 banana or Anaheim peppers (I've even used a bell pepper with the others)
1-2 jalapeño or Serrano Chile Peppers (depending on the heat you want!)
Salt to taste
a handful of chopped cilantro

Rinse tomatillos with the husks on and wash the peppers. Put tomatillos, peppers, onions and garlic on a cookie sheet and roast on broil until they start to blacken.  You may need to stir so they roast evenly.  Cool and remove tomatillo husks and pepper stems (and seeds if you don't want it very hot!).  Put tomatillos, peppers, onions, garlic and salt in food processor and blend until slightly chunky.  Heat in sauce pan if desired to further blend the flavors (sometimes I skip this step and it's still great!).  Add cilantro and serve with chips or over a burrito.  Enjoy!

I do want to hear if you try this.  I've made a couple larger batches and frozen it.  I'll heat it and then add the cilantro.  It will make a great winter meal.  I wish you all lived closer so I could share the many tomatillos that currently grace my garden!

0 comments:

Post a Comment