Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Rhubarb Cake Recipe


Kate,
It was so fun to walk around the yard on Saturday and notice that our rhubarb is ready. We only have two things we are harvesting at the present...rhubarb and spinach! I do love this time of year. I love thinking about yesteryear and the memories of rhubarb pie, rhubarb sauce and rhubarb cake.

For our Sunday dinner, I decided to break out mom's rhubarb cake recipe, healthify it and make it for dessert. It was moist and great...even dad gave it two thumbs up! You'll have to find some fresh rhubarb and give it a try. Here's the recipe I used...the healthier version.

Rhubarb Cake
1 1/2 cups sucanat (I used slightly less)
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. allspice
dash of salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup milk
Mix the above and then add:
2 cups chopped rhubarb
Mix and pour into greased 9x13" pan...I just sprayed it with an olive oil spray.
Sprinkle the top with sucanat and cinnamon and chopped nuts (I used almonds)
Bake at 350 degrees for about 32-35 minutes.

Enjoy!
Amy

0 comments:

Post a Comment